5 Things Business Owners Can Do to Make Personal Tax Prep Easier

5 Things Business Owners Can Do to Make Personal Tax Prep Easier

Personal tax returns are due soon. Many business owners dread the thought. Our personal returns are different – many of us earn passive income and need our corporate or partnership returns completed before we can file our personal returns. If you know you won’t be ready by April 15th, instruct your accountant to file an extension now.

Here are some tips to make tax time easier for you – and your accountant.

Start organizing early

This is your accountant’s busiest time of year. They work on multiple clients and have systems in place to organize and verify data. You reduce the risk of restated returns by providing your accountant complete documentation as early as possible. This extra time allows him or her to examine your returns to help you be compliant and possibly spot additional deductions you are entitled to receive.

Keep your data all in one spot. Digitize it.

Digitizing makes it easier to send to your accountant and keeps a backup of your paper records. Your data will generally include:

  • Salary reported to the government (W2)
  • Your share of your business’ income (K-1)
  • Interest and dividend income (Form 1099 from banks and brokerages)
  • Mortgage interest and property taxes (Form 1098)
  • Health insurance premiums paid by business owners
  • Year-end bank and brokerage statements
  • Charitable contributions
  • For sole proprietors, a record of all your receipt and expenses, including large purchases (Schedule C)
  • Tally of medical expenses not covered by insurance or a Health Savings Account (HSA)

Mark any noteworthy events

Inform your accountant of any noteworthy events, These events can impact your taxes:

  • The birth or adoption of a child
  • A child attending college full time
  • A home sale or purchase
  • Changes to marital status.

Put key dates on your calendar

  • March 15th – Corporate tax returns ( 1120S) and Partnership returns (1065) due. (the 1065 changed in 2016) or extension requests for these returns
  • April 17th – Corporate tax returns (1120) and Individual returns, extensions and 1st quarter estimates due
  • June 15th – 2Q estimated taxes due
  • Sept 17th – 3Q estimated taxes due. S-Corporation and Partnership extended returns due
  • Oct 15th – Extended Corporation (1120) and individual tax returns due.
  • Jan 15th – 4Q estimated taxes due

Book a time to discuss next year with your accountant

The most sweeping changes to federal tax laws in 30 years take effect in 2018. Book an appointment now to meet speak with your accountant about them. Schedule it during the summer when your accountant is less busy and has about six months of history to review your situation and make recommendations.


Two people handling a check_Fintelligent_Paycheck Protection

There Will Be Enough Paycheck Protection Program Funding For All of Us

April 6, 2020

Last Friday I frantically prepared documentation for as many clients as possible to apply for the new Paycheck Protection Program(PPP)loans that just...
Read More >
Man working on a computer_Fintelligent_Cash Flow in an Uncertain Economy

Creating Cash Flow in an Uncertain Economy

November 12, 2020

Are you a business owner worried about cash flow in this uncertain economy? Would you like to learn more about steps you can take right now to...
Download >

Check back soon for more upcoming events